The Ketogenic Diet - Kabir Grover
The Ketogenic diet is a low carb, adequate protein and high fat diet that has many benefits. What this diet does is, it forces the body to burn fats faster than carbohydrates. The carbohydrates usually turn into glucose, which is transported around the body to fuel the brain function. However, if the carbohydrates intake is low, the liver turns fat into fatty acids and ketones. The ketones are then passed to the brain which replace glucose as the energy source. The reduction in carbs puts the body in a metabolic state known as Ketosis. This burns fats faster and gives energy.
Consuming fat does not mean that you start eating junk and fried/sugary stuff. You have to eat healthy fats and maintain a clean diet.
The types of healthy fats you should include are :
1) Avocados - They are rich in monounsaturated fats which raise levels of good cholesterol.
2) Butter/Desi Ghee - The omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids found in butter help your brain function properly and improve skin health. No, Desi ghee, if taken in the right quantities will not make you fat, but will actually make you lose weight.
3) Coconut Oil - High amount of natural saturated fats in coconut oil mean that it increases good cholesterol and promotes heart health. Adding coconut oil to your food is easy though it does have a strong flavour.
4) Olive oil - It is great for heart health and is a much healthy alternative for vegetable oil.
5) Chia Seeds - Great for keeping bad cholesterol low.
6) Flax Seed - It is great for heart health and also has a great amount of fibre.
7) Fish Oil (Dietary Supplement) - Helps in keeping bad cholesterol low and promotes heart health. Also helps in increasing testosterone in males which helps in fat burning.
8) All types of nuts - Good source of fibre and fats.
The healthy complex carbs you can include into your diet in very low quantities are :
1) Potatoes/Sweet Potatoes
2) Multi grain bread
3) Rice/Brown Rice
I would name some great protein sources too but I am sure you all know what non vegetarians can eat to get their proteins from.
These are some vegetarian protein sources though :
1) Cottage Cheese/Paneer - Good source of protein and fats
3) Broccoli - Good source of fibre, carbs and protein
THIS IS A SAMPLE KETOGENIC DIET :
Breakfast: Bacon, eggs and tomatoes.
Lunch: Chicken salad with olive oil and feta cheese.
Dinner: Salmon with asparagus cooked in butter.
Breakfast: Egg, tomato, basil and goat cheese omelet.
Lunch: Almond milk, peanut butter, cocoa powder and stevia milkshake.
Dinner: Meatballs, cheddar cheese and vegetables.
Breakfast: A ketogenic milkshake (try this or this).
Lunch: Shrimp salad with olive oil and avocado.
Dinner: Pork chops with Parmesan cheese, broccoli and salad.
Breakfast: Omelet with avocado, salsa, peppers, onion and spices.
Lunch: A handful of nuts and celery sticks with guacamole and salsa.
Dinner: Chicken stuffed with pesto and cream cheese, along with vegetables.
Breakfast: Sugar-free yogurt with peanut butter, cocoa powder and stevia.
Lunch: Beef stir-fry cooked in coconut oil with vegetables.
Dinner: Bun-less burger with bacon, egg and cheese.
Breakfast: Ham and cheese omelet with vegetables.
Lunch: Ham and cheese slices with nuts.
Dinner: White fish, egg and spinach cooked in coconut oil.
Breakfast: Fried eggs with bacon and mushrooms.
Lunch: Burger with salsa and cheese.
Dinner: Steak and eggs with a side salad.
This diet usually suits everyone but sometimes, a body might take some time to adapt to this diet. Side effects may include :
1) Low energy
2) Sleep issues
3) Tummy problems
4) Increased hunger
This is known as a “Keto-Flu”. A ketogenic diet can also change the water and mineral balance of your body, so adding extra salt to your meals or taking mineral supplements can help.
There have been many studies that show that besides burning fat, ketogenic diet has many more health benefits. It helps preventing Heart diseases, Many types of Cancers, Alzheimer’s disease, Epilepsy, Parkinson’s disease, Polycystic Ovaries Syndrome (PCOD/PCOS), Brain Injuries and Acne.
I would like to conclude by saying that the ketogenic diet can boost insulin sensitivity and cause fat loss, leading to drastic improvement for type 2 diabetes and pre-diabetes.
#Keto #KetoDiet #Ketogenic #KetogenicDiet #LoseFatFast #FatLossDiet #FatLossTips #KetoFlu #LoseFat #FatLoss #PCOD #PCODAwareness #PCOS #PCOSAwareness #KabirGrover #Kabir #Grover #HealthByKilo